Minutes for June 12, 2018
President: Arrie Goodwin (870) 966-3666
Vice-President: Vernon Lamb (870) 886-6669
Secretary /Treasurer Jacque English (870) 856-4987
Member-at-Large: Robin Bowyer and Ronda Lee
Master-at-Arms: Rick Deroiun
Meeting was called to order 6:30 p.m. by Arrie Goodwin at Grandma's Country Cookin' in Hardy, AR.
We had 19 members and 3 guests in attendance. Welcome to our newest members: Lyle Mackey, Robert and Teresa Fare.
Teresa Fare gave opening prayer.
Treasurer Report (Books are open for any member to review) FNBC Checking - $484.67
Memberships – 38 paid members. Help your club and renew.
Meeting Minutes from May 08, 2018 were accepted as read. All minutes are online to read if you missed a meeting.
1. For our up-coming Pot Luck Picnic - the most votes went for September 29, 2018. It will be held in Loberg Park in Hardy, AR and will be begin around Noon. The " X " marks the pavilion we'll be using. At the next few meetings, we'll start passing around the list on what you wish to bring.
2. The Spring River Farmers Market will be open every Saturday, from May 24 to Aug. 30, from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and seeking local honey to sell.
The market is in Cherokee Village Town Center in front of the FNBC and the post office.
3. No one has harvested any honey as of yet, but for the members, we do have an extractor that you can use with a deposit of $10.00 and once returned in the condition it was checked out in, your deposit will be refunded. The deposit is forfeited if the equipment is not in the condition it was signed out in.
4. Arrie spoke of another bee club with the name "Five Rivers Beekeeping Club", but I could not find anything on them. They must be a brand new club. They are located in the North Western part of the State and we wish them all the success.
5. Since swarms are high this time of year, folks wishing to take part in going out and collecting FREE bees, just contact your local Extension Office and talk to the Apiary folks and get your name on their list to be called. Another source are the Pest Controls companies in the area.
6. Jacque relayed the dates for the County Fairs she knew about, they are:
July 22 - 28, 2018 Fulton County in Salem
July 30 - Aug 04, 2018 Sharp County in Ash Flat
Aug 6 - 11, 2018 Izard County in Melbourne
Sep 24 - 29, 2018 North Central AR District Fair in Melbourne.
We will be doing the Educational Booths this year for a few fairs.
7. Jacque and Marty has some mite control strips that they will be bringing to the July's meeting for whomever wishes. They are sticky and gooey and stains your clothes. Plus, Diatomaceous Earth in baggies to pass around. Hoping to have Beetle Traps as well to go along with the Earth, if I can get a bulk rate at a decent price.
8. Perfect Bees offers online classes regarding Beekeeping. A good thing to check out. https://www.perfectbee.com/beekeeping-course/
9. June 18, 2018
Mammoth Spring, AR
10. Bee Calendar : Thanks to UAEX.edu Let's you see what you should be doing for each month.
11. Most of the night, we just chatted with each other and got to know each other a bit better. It was nice to hear how folks got started in bees and what their desires are.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.
Next Meeting: 10 Jul 2018 @6:30 PM
Place: Grandma’s Country Cookin’ in Hardy