Minutes for December 13, 2016
President: Arrie Goodwin (870) 966-3666
Vice-President: Ronda Lee (870) 613-7092
Secretary /Treasurer Jacque English (870) 856-4987
Meeting was called to order 6:30 p.m. by Arrie Goodwin at Grandma’s Country Cooking Restaurant in Hardy, AR. We had 13 members and 5 guests in attendance. Arrie gave opening prayer. Arrie is doing much better, but still needs to take it easy and not overdo it.
FNBC Checking - $452.67
Memberships – 67 paid members. All annual dues are from January to January. New 2017 cards will be available starting next month.
Minutes from November 08, 2016 were accepted as read.
1) The following positions were voted on - Congratulations on the new Officers for 2017. The new Officers will assume the roles and responsibilities January 2017.
President: Arrie Goodwin
Vice-President: Vernon Lamb
Secretary /Treasurer: Jacque English
Member at Large: Martha Holder and Ronda Lee
Five Rivers Bee Club By-Laws were accepted as read for 2017.
2) Myron Kropf sells Bee Packages for $85.00 and his number is (870) 458-3002 to place yours. Payment is due upon pickup, scheduled for next May timeframe. Arrie offered to pick up and deliver the bees, but he needs to be paid beforehand.
Once you get your bees, if there seems to be any issues to call him right away and not wait a month. After a month, he may not have a queen to replace, so no later than one week to call, if there is an issue.
3) Troy Spalding from Hillbilly Bees is selling Nucleus Colonies for $165.00 His number is 888-887-4420.
4) Jacob and Joey Teem brought a new design of his Horizontal Top Bar Hives and sells them for - $125.00 (members) - $200.00 (non-members). This is the time that he starts fulfilling orders, so place yours now. Call Joey – (870) 844-1412 and/or – (870) 283-9382. The new design has beetle traps, mite traps built in, and a new bar look. Jacque and Marty will be the testers on the new design and report findings. They did a wonderful show and tell on the product.
More Tee Shirts available to purchase, they are $10.00 / each. We have Medium, Large, X-Large, 2Large, 3Large. Contact Jacque at 870-856-4987 to get yours.
Please leave a message if answering machine picks up.
6) Arrie brought in the “Current” magazine from the Spring River Chronicle for the Full Feature article on us for their magazine. PDF file on line off our website
7) Peter Martin wishes to do a TV segment on us as well, to be aired on the local cable channel. Time has not been arranged yet for interview
8) Winter Patties to feed your bees. Arrie explained what to do; his is a wee bit different he also uses vinegar in his oil mixture.
Ø Take a 5 lb bag of white sugar.
Ø Mix it in a bowl with 7.5 ounces of water and a few drops of honeybee essential oil mix. (recipe below)
Ø Mix the water in well.
Ø Spread into the foil pans, or drop onto wax paper or paper plates and make round sugar mounds.
Ø Rhonda used a baking pan and then cuts into squares.
honeybee essential oil recipe
> 5 cups water
> 2 1/2 pounds of sugar
> 15 drops spearmint oil
> 15 drops lemongrass oil
9) Arrie and Alvin Cox are going to try and raise Queens next year. More to come on this.
10) It was voted on to purchase a Honey Extractor for the club members to use. Will start researching to find best product for our needs. Several considerations were made to look for, 1) steel not plastic and 2) replaceable parts.
Bee Calendar : Thanks to UAEX.edu
Meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
Next Meeting: 10 January 2017 @6:30 PM
Place: Grandma Country Cooking in Hardy
Minutes submitted by Jacque English