Minutes for July 11, 2017
President: Arrie Goodwin (870) 966-3666
Vice-President: Vernon Lamb (870) 886-6669
Secretary /Treasurer: Jacque English (870) 856-4987
Member-at-Large: Martha Holder and Ronda Lee
Master-at-Arms: Rick Deroiun
Meeting was called to order 6:30 p.m. by Arrie Goodwin at Grandma’s Country Cookin’ Restaurant in Hardy, AR. We had 15 members and 2 guests in attendance. Ronda gave opening prayer.
FNBC Checking (Last Month)- $922.53
Paid Out - 485.18
Memberships – 39 paid members. All annual dues are from January to January. Help your club and renew.
Minutes from June 13, 2017 were approved.
1) Fairs coming up fast – Need volunteers to help man the booths. Fair Info was passed out and corrections were made on dates. Thank you Irene for your sharp eye. Can see the list of all Fairs at http://5rbc.net/event.html
2) We will have 2 educational booths this year. One at Fulton and the other Sharp County. Jacque passed around what the display will look like. Once actually set up will post a picture.
3) If you live Fulton, Jacque set it up that the Bee Club members can enter Light/Dark with/without comb honey in for judging. The Fair encouraged that folks enter, there were not many entries last year.
4) One of our members, Eddie James, is selling his two established hives for $500.00. Since he got the bees this spring, he has been the ER three (3) times. It was highly advised that he gets rid of the bees because he is extremely allergic to their stings. They are in safe keeping at Marty and Jacque English’s home. A list of what you get was passed out, but it was corrected and the new list of what you get is on our Facebook page.
5) Some of our members did not attend our meeting because they were attending a City Council meeting on Spraying Mosquitoes that caused bees to die off and people getting sick.
6) The new restaurant in Hardy on Woodland Hills Road, Creekside Café, wants to sell jars of honey for $15.00. All they ask in return is a couple of jars of honey a year. They will be by the Pie/Cake display.
7) The extractor is in and can be rented out for spinning honey for $10.00 deposit. First come, first server basis. Get your name on the list now for when times comes to extract honey.
8) The Teems directed me to an article on a little bug called “BOOK SCORPION” that could be the saving grace for the bees. Jacque passed around the article for folks to take home and posted it on the website http://5rbc.net/PDF/Book%20Scorpions.pdf
9) Ronda still having issues with Beetles in her hive. Using non-scented swifter pads in each corner and powered sugar for checking was advised.
10) Ronda brought in some Bee Jewelry to sell. Can been seen at http://5rbc.net/store.html
11) Needing Queens – the Teem’s have started rearing queens and should know in couple of days, if they are successful, then a week later will be available. Billy from Hillybilly Bees at 1148 US 62, Salem Phone (888) 887-4420 has queens now if you need right away. I am not sure of the cost. The latest one should raise queens is Mid September.
12) If you have a strong hive and a weak hive, take 1-2 frames from the strong hive and place in the weak hive. This should save your failing hive.
13) Pollination – Bees will fly out and gather pollen 2 – 7 miles from their home even though you have a beautiful garden designed just for them. But do not fear, bees will come and visit your place.
It was a great turn out for the club and we hope to see everyone again next month. If ever you have any questions, you can email anyone one us or post on our Facebook page. Remember, our website is www.5rbc.net
Bee Calendar : Thanks to UAEX.edu
Meeting was adjourned at 7:15 p.m.
Next Meeting: 08 Aug 2017 @6:30 PM
Place: Grandma’s Country Cookin’ in Hardy
Minutes submitted by Jacque English