Minutes for May 21, 2020
President: Vernon Lamb (870) 886-6669
Vice-President: Lonnie Perry (870) 895-2771
Secretary /Treasurer Jacque English (870) 856-4987
Meeting was called to order 6:30 p.m. by Vernon Lamb at the A.J. Hudson Memorial Center (Outside) in Highland, AR. We had 35 in attendance: 24 members, 11 guests.
Guest Speaker : Andy Birdsell on the Oxalic Acid Vaporizer and Bronna Birdsell on pollination and she passed out packets of seeds.
Lonnie Perry gave opening prayer.
FNBC Checking - $656.39
Memberships – 34 paid members. All annual dues are from January to January. Help your club and renew.
Minutes from February 20, 2020 were accepted as read. Vernon Lamb motioned and Wallene Fraizer seconded - all approved.
We did not have a March or April meeting due to the COVID-19 virus.
1) Mentorship Program kicking off. If you are wishing to be a mentor to someone to share your knowledge and answer question OR a person wishing to have a mentor to contact if you have any questions. Please let Jacque know so she can play match maker. Reach-Teach-Keep
2) Home Visits are about to start. We have openings for: Jun 20, Jul 18, Aug 22, Sep 19, Oct 17, Nov 21. The Saturday after monthly meetings.
3) Andy did a presentation on Oxalic Acid Vaporizer which he donated to the club as part of its Lending Library. If you wish to check it out, please let Jacque know. Main thing to remember DO NOT BREATH IT - stay downwind!
He spoke about a great video to watch by Paul Stamets about bees and mushrooms. He said it well worth it and highly recommends that folks take the time to watch. https://youtu.be/WIOlOO2T0gM
HIs you tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/paulstamets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG5jLJFD7OA This is the new maze feeder design that Andy spoke of.
4) Bronna spoke on Pollination and had wonderful informative handouts plus packets of pollination seeds (Perennials and Annual mixture) . Handout can be viewed here. I made .PDF of it. 5rbc.net/PDF/Pollination.pdf
5) Arrie said there is a Native Seeds of Arkansas website. I found several when I googled. Here is one: https://www.uaex.edu/farm-ranch/special-programs/beekeeping/honey-plants.aspx
6) Lonnie got up and did a Q&A. He demonstrated the techniques to check for mites. The powered sugar roll and the alcohol using this. This is also available to be checked out from the Lending Library, contact Jacque.
7) Vernon had an announcement that Northeast Arkansans Beekeepers Association has a new President. Kristi Cook and she also sells queens. She is located in Bono AR. $25 each. Please call, text, or PM her. 901-301-3067
The other person in the club that sells queens is Myron Kroph. His number is 870-458-3002 and he lives in Bexar AR.
8) Video of meeting can be found here. http://5rbc.net/Movies/21May2020MM.mp4
Bee Calendar : Thanks to UAEX.edu
Meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
Next Meeting: 18 June 2020 @6:30 PM
Place: A.L. Hudson Memorial Center (OUTSIDE) in HIghland
Minutes submitted by Jacque English