President: Arrie Goodwin (870) 966-3666
Vice-President: Vernon Lamb (870) 886-6669
Secretary /Treasurer Jacque English (870) 856-4987
Meeting was called to order 6:30 p.m. by Arrie Goodwin at Grandma’s Country Cookin’ Restaurant in Hardy, AR. We had 14 members and 1 Guest in attendance. Bob Vandergriff gave opening prayer.
FNBC Checking - $1207.67
PayPal Account - $ 90.74
Memberships – 26 paid members. All annual dues are from January to January. Help your club and renew. Welcome to returning members and our newest member, Eddie James.
Minutes from February 14, 2017 were accepted as read.
1) Myron Kropf sells Bee Packages for $85.00 and his number is (870) 458-3002 to place yours. Payment is due upon pickup, scheduled for last week in April. Arrie offered to pick up and deliver the bees, but he needs to be paid beforehand. You can pay any time before time of pickup with Paypal on our website (just in the Note - write for Bee packages).
Once you get your bees, if there seems to be any issues to call Myron right away and not wait a month. After a month, Myron may not have a queen to replace, so no later than one week to call, if there is an issue.
2) Troy Spalding from Hillbilly Bees is selling Nucleus Colonies for $165.00 His number is 888-887-4420.
3) Grandma Country Cookin’ seeking to display and sell honey. Some members are working on making display cases.
4) Arrie brought in his Solar Heating Wax Melter and explained how it works. I forgot to take a picture to show, but I found this .pdf on how to make - http://www.michiganbees.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Solar-Wax-Melter_20100727.pdf
5) Jonesboro Bee Club is starting to have their meetings the same night as ours, Arrie said.
6) Hive beetles are out – time to check for Hive Mites. The Holder's lost their hive from Beetles. OA is good for mites.
7) Myron Kropf will be holding a Queen Rearing Class – 3rd Wednesday in April after 5pm. He cannot hold the class on the weekends. Contact Arrie for more information.
supplies available in Cherokee Village from a person moving and offering items
to the club. Arrie went and spoke with him. He is going to keep them , now that he knows there are folks in area that can help him, if need be. His bees are a bit aggressive for his taste, but Arrie put his mind at ease.
In fact, we might a have a new member /grins. He is going to give it another try, but if he decides not to keep, the club gets.
9) Swarm Catching – Contact your local County Extension Office to get your name on the list as a person to call to catch swarms. If you do get a call about going out for a swarm. Ask these questions, 1) How long has swarm been there, 2) How high is swarm’s location, and 3) Where are they (tree, building, etc.).
10) Swarm Traps – Arrie demonstrated on how to make a cone trap he found on You Tube. This was closet video I could find . >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9TnW4FKeHM But the concept is bee leave out of cone but does not return , thereby, moving to the new box placed next to cone. Arrie said it could take 3 days to 3 months for a swarm to move. Just have to keep checking for activity in the cone.
11) Tyson Honey Farm selling Nucs $165 and Hive w/ bees for $330. More information on the LINKS Link off website.
12) The website has a new look. Lending Library added. Thanks to Ken Defani
for the donations of Bee magazines to be added.
Thanks to Vernom Lamb for the CD disk of the following old books about Beekeeping and Hive Plans. I have also added them to the PDF File section of the website.
13) Bob Vandergriff has 10 frame pine brood boxes for sell - $12.50/ set. His number is 870.892.8336.
14) Jacque will adding members phone numbers and email addresses to the Members section of the website. This will give our members a way to reach other, if they have questions or are in need of assistance.
Bee Calendar : Thanks to UAEX.edu
Meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
Next Meeting: 11 April 2017 @6:30 PM
Place: Grandma’s Country Cookin’ in Hardy
Minutes submitted by Jacque English